By: laura On: February 23, 2020 In: Myotherapy, Osteopathy Comments: 0

Our newest Osteopath Jake Wright points out the differences between Osteopathy and Myotherapy services.

Who should I see if I have health concerns?

Both being forms of manual medicine, they can both be beneficial at any time regardless of the differing services they both offer. Optimally we believe that you may utilize both an Osteopath and a Myotherapist as part of your overall treatment plan.


Is a form of manual medicine which recognises the important link between the structure of the body and the way it functions. Osteopaths focus on how the skeleton, joints, muscles, nerves, circulation, connective tissue and internal organs function as a holistic unit. Using skilled evaluation, diagnosis and a wide range of hands-on techniques, osteopaths can identify important types of dysfunction in your body. Osteopathic treatment uses techniques such as stretching and massage for of the soft tissues (muscles, tendons and ligaments) along with mobilisation and manipulation of specific joints.

Osteopaths study for 5 years at university requiring a Bachelor of Health Science and Bachelor of Clinical Science or Master Degree, to become registered by AHPRA.


Is the assessment, treatment and management of musculoskeletal conditions, which may cause muscular dysfunction and pain thus affecting movement and mobility. Myotherapists primarily use massage as their main tool however, they also have skills and knowledge to apply a wide variety of other techniques including dry needling or trigger point therapy and myofascial release.

Myotherapists must have an advanced diploma or a 3-year Bachelor of Health Science degree in Myotherapy to become registered by AHPRA.


When should I see a Myotherapist?

Myotherapists see patients who are experiencing musculoskeletal pain or injury. These conditions might include headaches and neck pain, low back pain, tendinopathies, overuse injuries and general muscle pain or stiffness.

Feeling sore training for a marathon? Had a hard week on the football track? Those extra few kms on the bike to work and back have you a little sore? – Try a Myotherapist to help ease the load through those muscles and joints.

When should I see an Osteopath?

Osteopaths see all of the conditions listed above as well as looking at other areas of the body such as the cranium (head) and Visceral (Intestines & organs). Osteopaths have a very holistic hands on approach to the body. Meaning that they analyse how different areas of your body relate to one another and cause different pain responses/ compensation patterns.

Where osteopaths differ is the use of thorough evaluation, diagnosis and a wide range of hands-on techniques. Osteopaths can identify important types of dysfunction in your body which may be contributing to the current pain you are experiencing, as well as reviewing any lifestyle and daily habits (exercise, work, stress management, computer use).

Common injuries and conditions treated by our osteopaths include ligament tear, joint dislocation, contusion (impact injuries), pelvic alignment, pregnancy related compensations and injuries tennis elbow, disc budges and sporting injuries.

By Jake Wright


You can find Jake Wright at Back It Up Osteopathy on Thursdays and Fridays.

Do you have any lower back pain the gets triggered intermittently? Felt your knee give way whilst on a run? Can’t seem to move your neck after waking up or a traumatic event? – Give your osteo a go.


Trackback URL: